Friday, January 29, 2016

(Don't) keep the faith...?

Don't keep the faith, brothers and sisters.
Don't?

What I mean is – don’t “keep” the faith.  To yourself.
A special gift just for you and your circle of “church friends”.

Our worship service a while ago focused on not “keeping the faith” but “sharing the faith”.

Pastor Daron Lindemann wrote this responsive reading for a worship service.
I’ll share it with you as devotion today.

=========================
“Now I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that what has happened to me has actually served to advance the gospel. As a result, it has become clear to everyone that I am in chains for Christ. And because of my chains, most of the brothers and sisters have become confident in the Lord and dare all the more to proclaim the gospel without fear” (Philippians 1:12-14).

Your gospel, Lord Jesus Christ, is the saving promise that you forgive sinners and fortify our faith for this life and eternal life.
What happens to me can advance the gospel.

My family upbringing
Can advance the gospel.

My resilient, worry-free response to stress
Can advance the gospel.

My patience and understanding that shows mercy to others
Can advance the gospel.

My faith that shows itself in godly words, loving acts of kindness, and a commitment to the mission of my church
Can advance the gospel.

When I have complained about my inconveniences and ignored opportunities to act unselfishly,
Others have not seen Christ in me.

When I have remained silent while others profess views that mock you, and neglected my church’s ministry of the Word and mission to the community
My selfish, sinful fears stifle my faith in you.

Forgive us, merciful Lord, and before we share grace with others, first find us in your grace; cleanse us from our guilt, and lead us in obedience.
Lord, have mercy on us.

“I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death … I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith” (Philippians 1:20-25).

Grant each of us sufficient courage to exalt Christ, in good times and bad, in triumph and in pain, in life and even in death.
We are risen to new life, even as Christ is risen!

Design in us a heavenly desire that sees this earth not as our home or destiny, yet a willingness to remain and do your work - mission work - which we cannot do in heaven.
Open our eyes to see those who need you, our hearts to feel compassion, and our mouths to speak your gospel.
=========================

Link to daily bible reading calendar (chronological - one chapter per day)
TIP: click the Bible Reference and then "more details" to get hyperlinks that open Bible Gateway

What's the big deal about Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment