Friday, September 18, 2015

The Bible. Featuring...Me?!?

One of the things I like about my job is that I get to work with logical computers.  They do what you tell them and you can expect a certain result every time.

One of the things I don't like as much about my job is that I get to work with people. They don't do what you tell them and you can't expect a certain result every time.
People are messy.

And I'm a person.
I'm messy.

As I read through the Bible I am surprised to find myself.

I'm also surprised to find that I'm not the hero.
I'm not riding in to save the day.
In fact - I'm not even helping.

For instance - Jesus addresses a riled-up band of religious leaders in John 8:3-11.
They had dragged in a woman caught in adultery and wanted to involve Jesus (trying to trap him with words) in the urgent action to kill the woman.

They ask for his advice.  
He drew in the dirt, not answering them.

They ask again.
He stood up and said "Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.".

...and then "those who heard began to go away one at a time".
There's me - one of those riled-up religious leaders - so sure that I'm right and everyone else is wrong.
Ready to throw the stone.
...And then skulking away sheepishly.

Oh - and not only am I always right - but I love to point out where you are wrong.

I show up in the spotlight in Luke 6:41-42

"It’s easy to see a smudge on your neighbor’s face and be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own. 

Do you have the nerve to say, ‘Let me wash your face for you,’ when your own face is distorted by contempt? 

It’s this I-know-better-than-you mentality again, playing a holier-than-thou part instead of just living your own part. 

Wipe that ugly sneer off your own face and you might be fit to offer a washcloth to your neighbor."

Thank the Lord that I also make an appearance in John 3:16-17...as a member of the world.  And as one who believes in Him.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.  

For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 

Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son."

God,
Thanks for making messy me.
And making your salvation personal.
For me!
Amen.

Link to daily bible reading calendar (chronological - one chapter per day)
TIP: click the Bible Reference and then "more details" to get hyperlinks that open Bible Gateway

What's the big deal about Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment