Thursday, July 2, 2015

Run to the fire!?!

OK – what would you do?

The smoke alarm goes off right now.
You see wisps of smoke out of the corner of your eye.
You hear a crack and then some crackling sounds...
Then the smoke alarm goes silent.

You find the nearest exit and head for it, right?

Last week our CEO issued a challenge to employees.
She said “Run to the fire”.

What?
Run TO the fire!
Not FROM the fire?

What kind of person would DO THAT?
Well…

A firefighter would.
That is - a person interested in saving and serving others.

As a Christian in a burning world – what should I do?
Run FROM the fire?  Or run TO the fire?

This is a trick question – because it depends on what “fire” you are talking about.

If it’s the flames of temptation licking at you – then God says RUN!
-          2 Timothy 2:22-26
-          1 Corinthians 15:33-34
-          1 Corinthians 16:13
-          Don’t fight temptation. Flee it!” A devotion from Rick Warren

BUT if we’re talking about those in our life who are on a highway to Hell (the easiest road in this world)…
God tells us to run TO that fire.
To rescue them.

We are the firefighters - here to save and serve them by letting them know about the danger they are in – and to assist their escape!
-          Psalm 82:2-4
-          Jude 1:22-23
-          And of course – our “marching orders” – Matthew 28:18-20.

I recall several times when my child was about to do something that would hurt their self.
My parental instinct kicked in and I “ran to the fire” to prevent it from happening.
Sometimes this scared them and resulted in tears (even though disaster was averted).

But they were saved from the pain.
They might not have realized it – but they were.
And that, in the end, is what counts.

Lord –
First – thank you for rescuing me from the highway to Hell.
You scooped me out of the flames, covered me with the cloak of righteousness and I get to ride in the fire truck next to you!
Show me those in my life who are “playing with fire” and help me help them!
Amen.

Link to daily bible reading calendar (chronological - one chapter per day)
TIP: click the Bible Reference and then "more details" to get hyperlinks that open Bible Gateway


What's the big deal about Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment