Thursday, July 9, 2015

Following in his/her footsteps...

[Originally written in January 2015 - but today I'm back in West Bend and reminded of this devotion that I sent out via email to a few folks back in January]

I’m in West Bend, Wisconsin right now.
There was about ¼ inch of snow overnight.
The light fluffy pretty stuff – like God wanted to powder sugar dust this part of the country.




On my run this morning I found myself following in someone’s footsteps.
That was helpful and comforting.
Someone had already gone down this road before.
Their footsteps were sure – not slipping or flailing around.
So I knew the ground was solid and not icy underneath.

But then I got to a point where they stopped.
Just around the river downtown.
I was now “on my own”.
Starting slowly – building confidence – moving faster as I found the ground was still solid.

I made my turns and started back – and found some more footsteps to follow.
They came and went depending on which street I turned onto.
I made it back to my destination safely!

Kind of like our lives
-          We start out helpless and follow in footsteps for the first two decades or so.
-          Then head out “on our own” – and sometimes wisely look for the footsteps that have gone before.  Sometimes…
-          And as we get older and wiser – we find that the footsteps that have gone before make life MUCH easier.
-          Sometimes we get older and wiser…
-          Sometimes we make it to our destination (not always the one we set out for, though).

Kind of like our spiritual lives
-          Led to the Lord by someone and growing “in knowledge and stature”.
-          Watching, learning, doing in our journey
-          Sometimes we think we’re “on our own”.  The training wheels are off.  Stand and deliver.
-          But in our spiritual walk with Jesus - we’re never on our own.
-          Hebrews 13:5-6 – “Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you.”
-          Follow the footsteps of Jesus and you WILL get to the destination safely.

And of course – there is the famous “Footsteps” poem.
Wow that webpage is so retro.  (And so annoying with the mouse cursor footsteps…)

Lord,
Remind me to follow.

Amen.

Link to daily bible reading calendar (chronological - one chapter per day)
TIP: click the Bible Reference and then "more details" to get hyperlinks that open Bible Gateway

What's the big deal about Jesus?

2 comments:

  1. Thx. Took me a second to realize this was from january. Lol snow shouldve tipped me off. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx. Took me a second to realize this was from january. Lol snow shouldve tipped me off. Lol

    ReplyDelete