Friday, April 17, 2015

Why Does God Let Bad Things Happen?

This morning I read some words spoken by the director of the FBI, James B. Comey.

He gave a speech at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum.  He asked some great questions.

"...I was born into an Irish Catholic family in this great, wonderful and safe country, but the Holocaust has always haunted me, and it has long stood as a stumbling block to faith.

How could such a thing be? How is that consistent with the concept of a loving God? How is that in any way reconcilable with the notion of a God with a role in human history? How could there possibly be meaning in life, when so many lives were snuffed out in such a fashion?
I have asked those questions since I was a young teenager. I have asked them my entire life. 

I asked the same questions standing in the pit at Ground Zero in early 2002. I have asked those questions many times as I have confronted unimaginable suffering and loss.

And I know I am in good company asking such questions."

Sadly - though - he also says "...I ask, as so many of us do.  And I still don't know.".

I know where he (and we) can find the answers.

Here they are:

In summary - it's a sin-sick world we live in.
While you're a resident here - bad things will happen.
To you.  To your neighbor.  To children.  To everyone.
But through Jesus - a perfect place is waiting.
Where bad things NEVER happen.

Know Jesus.  Know Peace.
No Jesus. No Peace.

Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment