Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The Impossible Simple Instruction

[Guest devotion from my brother Chris]

The Impossible Simple Instruction – Titus 2:7-8
Paul delivers very specific guidance regarding desired/required behaviors for Christians under Titus’s care.

·         Older Men – “lives of temperance, dignity, wisdom, healthy faith, love and endurance”
·         Older Women – “lives of reverence with no gossip, drunkenness.  Models of goodness.  Guides for younger women to see how to properly love their husbands and children.”
·         Young Men – “live disciplined lives.”

My sinful nature skims over the section on older men and zeroes in on those Older Women and Young Men.  If THEY would only do as their told, the world would be a better place.   My sinful nature is so very good at leading me to believe Paul is speaking to someone else. 

Paul knows the sinful nature though, and he strikes to the heart of the matter with the most impossible simple instruction in Titus 2:7-8.

“But mostly, show them all this by doing it yourself…”    Wow.   “Do as I say, not as a I do” was just as foolish a notion back in Paul and Titus’s day as it is today.  In modern terms, it’s critical that we walk the talk.  Our words and actions must match.  How often do I fail in this regard?

“…incorruptible in your teaching, your words solid and sane.”  Incorruptible?  Me?  I’m the textbook definition of corrupt.   I ramble and babble and contradict myself and often speak when silence is called for.  I react emotionally, fail to love completely and shatter opportunities to show Christ’s love by uttering words that are the opposite of solid and sane.

Again, wow.  I’m in trouble.  If Paul had left off here, I’d leave depressed, dejected, hopeless and lost.  I have no hope.  All I have to do is look back at my life to see more examples of my failure to live as God directs than I could ever count.  One month’s worth of my sin’s, shortfalls and failures could fill the pages of a very large book…  Depressing for sure.

But thankfully, Paul doesn’t stop there.  In Titus 2:11-14 we read:
“God’s readiness to give and forgive is now public.  Salvation’s available for everyone!  We’re being shown how to turn our backs on a Godless, indulgent life, and how to take on a God-filled, God-honoring life.  This new life is starting right now, and is whetting our appetites for the glorious day when our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, appears.  He offered Himself as a sacrifices to free us from a dark, rebellious life into this good, pure life, making us a people He can be proud of, energetic in goodness.”

The instruction is still impossible, IF I rely on me.  But that’s the key.  It’s NOT about me.  

It’s about God.  It’s about His decision to create me, choose me, to write my name in the book of life, to send His Son to die for me, to send His Holy Spirit to empower and embolden me.    

He places each challenge, opportunity, obstacle, blessing in front of me and gives both the instruction and the ability to follow it.

============================
Lord - 
Thank you for keeping it simple for me.
Inspiring Paul to write clear, personal word that speak to my heart.
That convict my heart.
That liberate us "from a dark, rebellious life into this good, pure life".
Make me a person you can be proud of!
Amen.

Link to daily bible reading calendar (chronological - one chapter per day)
TIP: click the Bible Reference and then "more details" to get hyperlinks that open Bible Gateway

What's the big deal about Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment