Monday, August 15, 2016

Listen to your heart. No, don't.

From Bryan Adam's 1980's hit "Everything I Do (I Do It for You)"

Look into my eyes, you will see
What you mean to me
Search your heart, search your soul
And when you find me there
You'll search no more
...
Look into your heart, you will find
There's nothin' there to hide
Take me as I am, take my life
I would give it all, I would sacrifice

Who is speaking here?
Is it a person (with good intentions and pure motives)?
Is it you - speaking to your true love?
Maybe.

But my heart is not full of good intentions and pure motives.  
As much as I'd like to think it is - it's not.
My heart is full of me.  
What makes me happy, what makes me fulfilled, what fills me up. 

Now imagine the person speaking is Jesus.
Read the lyrics again as though He is speaking them to you.
It makes a whole different kind of sense.

There is nothing that you can hide.

And as a believer in Jesus Christ - there is nothing you need to hide

When He "carves His plan on the lining of your heart" and fills it, it's worth listening to.

Hebrews 10:12-18 (The Message)


As a priest, Christ made a single sacrifice for sins, and that was it! Then he sat down right beside God and waited for his enemies to cave in. It was a perfect sacrifice by a perfect person to perfect some very imperfect people. By that single offering, he did everything that needed to be done for everyone who takes part in the purifying process. The Holy Spirit confirms this:
This new plan I’m making with Israel
    isn’t going to be written on paper,
    isn’t going to be chiseled in stone;
This time “I’m writing out the plan in them,
    carving it on the lining of their hearts.”
He concludes,
I’ll forever wipe the slate clean of their sins.
Once sins are taken care of for good, there’s no longer any need to offer sacrifices for them.

=====================
Jesus,
Take my will and make it thine;
it shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart it is thine own;
it shall be thy royal throne,

it shall be thy royal throne.
Amen.
=====================

Link to daily bible reading calendar (chronological - one chapter per day)
TIP: click the Bible Reference and then "more details" to get hyperlinks that open Bible Gateway

What's the big deal about Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment