Monday, August 29, 2016

Fussing with it...


Fussing - it never achieves the desired result.
Almost never.
Usually never.
Assuming that I knew what the desired result really was...

Come on - we're going to be late.
Out in the car - waiting, waiting, waiting - engine running - fussing with my watch.
Should I tap the horn just a couple times to express my urgency...?
(ummmm - little tip - NO!)

You name the project.
A project that requires you to take several separate things and put them together.
Maybe a model, a recipe, a sewing pattern, a tool, a plan.
But I can't help fussing with it...


I think that I can improve it if I just make this one little change.
Which didn't quite work out but if I just make this one more little change that should do it.
And so on, and so on.
And now - I can't recognize it anymore.

Or have you ever heard - or said - this phrase?
"I TOLD you not to fuss with it."
Reflect for a moment on when you heard or said it.


Fussing - it never achieves the desired result.
Our God has some advice for us in this regard in Luke 12:25-28.

(The Message version)
“Has anyone by fussing before the mirror ever gotten taller by so much as an inch? If fussing can’t even do that, why fuss at all? Walk into the fields and look at the wildflowers. They don’t fuss with their appearance—but have you ever seen color and design quite like it? The ten best-dressed men and women in the country look shabby alongside them. If God gives such attention to the wildflowers, most of them never even seen, don’t you think he’ll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you?

(NIV)
Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?
“Consider how the wild flowers grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you—you of little faith!


=====================
God,
I love to fuss.
With stuff, with people, with pretty much every aspect of my life.
Help me put it in perspective.
Help me put my fuss and trust (fust?) in You.
Amen.
=====================

Link to daily bible reading calendar (chronological - one chapter per day)
TIP: click the Bible Reference and then "more details" to get hyperlinks that open Bible Gateway


What's the big deal about Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment