Tuesday, August 30, 2016

EPIC BATTLE SERIES: Self Esteem vs. Humility

EPIC BATTLE SERIES
Self Esteem vs. Humility

In this corner - Self Esteem
I am someone.
I am someone special.
I think.
Always comparing to others.

CS Lewis from "Mere Christianity":
"Pride gets no pleasure out of having something, only out of having more of it than the next man." 

Luke 14:1,7 (NIV)
"One Sabbath, when Jesus went to eat in the house of a prominent Pharisee, he was being carefully watched.
...

When he noticed how the guests picked the places of honor at the table, he told them this parable..."

In this corner - Humility
I am nobody.
I am nothing special.
But YOU are somebody.
You are someone special.
I know.

Luke 14:8-9
"When someone invites you to a wedding feast, do not take the place of honor, for a person more distinguished than you may have been invited. 9 If so, the host who invited both of you will come and say to you, ‘Give this person your seat.’ Then, humiliated, you will have to take the least important place."

CS Lewis from "Mere Christianity":
True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less.

Bonus Battle
Repaid vs. Blessed
Repaid - 
  You get what you deserve, your recompense.
  You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.  
  Goodness from the outside in.
Blessed - 
  You get spiritual happiness and contentment.  
  Undeserved, unexpected.
  Goodness from the inside out.

Luke 14:12-14
Then Jesus said to his host, 
“When you give a luncheon or dinner, 
  do not invite your friends, 
  your brothers or sisters, 
  your relatives, 
  or your rich neighbors; 
if you do, they may invite you back and so you will be repaid. 

But when you give a banquet, 
  invite the poor, 
  the crippled, 
  the lame, 
  the blind, 
  and you will be blessed. 


Although they cannot repay you, 
you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.”

[aside] In case you are interested... 100 C.S. Lewis quotes

=====================
Jesus,
My epic battle plays out every day.
I wish I could tell you that Humility and Blessedness always wins out in my heart.
But no.
Thank you for picking me up, dusting me off, bringing me back.
With you in my corner, at my side, leading my team.
I can't lose.
Because of you, I'm the victor.
Amen.
=====================

Link to daily bible reading calendar (chronological - one chapter per day)
TIP: click the Bible Reference and then "more details" to get hyperlinks that open Bible Gateway

What's the big deal about Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment