Monday, August 10, 2015

Thorns

On our recent vacation we hiked through some thistles and thorns that stood over 5 feet tall.  

I observed a couple of things (with a nod to captain obvious...)
- When you don't see them - a thorn gets your attention quickly
- When you do see them - they want all your attention (how am I going to get through this?)
- Eventually - you just have to power through them if you want to get anywhere...

Our message this past Sunday brought up the topic of thorns, too.

The "super-pastor" Paul reminded us just how un-super he really was in 2 Corinthians 12:7-10.

Our pastor Daron pointed out how Paul described his thorn - he called it "a messenger of Satan".  It must have REALLY hurt!

Verse 8 describes how Paul he pleaded with God THREE times to take his thorn away.  And God did not take it away.

Pastor Daron noted that when we pray and ask repeatedly to have our personal thorns removed from our lives - three things will happen.

1) We will get clarity.  Have you heard of the "5 whys" problem solving technique?  You ask "why" 5 times in an attempt to get to the heart (or root cause) of the problem.  Your repeated prayers will be more and more focused on the real problem, the real issue, the real source of pain or strife.
  
2) We will learn humility.  If God answered every prayer whenever you asked and gave you whatever you asked for - you'd think of Him as a spiritual vending machine.  Put the prayer in, pull the level, get the stuff.

When the answer to a prayer is "No", or "Not Yet", or "I have something else (better) in mind" - it reminds us that God is God - and that I am not.  It sounds silly - but I needed to be reminded of that.  A LOT.

3) We will gain maturity.  Life is always lived the hard way.  Experience is the greatest teacher.  Paul says in verse 10 - "That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties."

If we are honest - we see that God gave the worst thorns to Jesus.  He took them all on for us to the cross.  Maturity sees that grace and that gift.

Do you feel like you're not strong enough for your thorns?
That's OK.  That's good.
In fact - when you say that you are strong enough - you can "take it".
You are robbing God of an opportunity to let His light shine through you.  
Your weaknesses help others to see God's power.

God says - lean on me.  Call on me.
God told Paul in verse 9 - "My grace is sufficient for you; for my power is make perfect in weakness.".

Lord - 
Your logic seems so crazy to my human way of thinking.
I'm thinking that thorns in my life are a really bad thing.
You say - no - they are good for me.
A reminder that I am a weak, sinful, easily distracted person.
Reminding me that all good gifts come from you, Lord.
And to let your Light shine through me and my journey through thorns.
Thanks for thorns.
Amen.

Link to daily bible reading calendar (chronological - one chapter per day)
TIP: click the Bible Reference and then "more details" to get hyperlinks that open Bible Gateway

What's the big deal about Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment