Thursday, August 27, 2015

Comfortable? Too comfortable?

Comfortable?

Too comfortable?

Or in over your head?
Is the water a little too deep?

I recently had that moment of panic when i ventured into deep water at our local water park.  (I'm not a good swimmer, FYI)

Skip over to Time of Grace for Pastor Mark's thoughts on this...
Pain reminds me that I need God 

It's good to be uncomfortable.
Comfortable brings complacent.
Complacent never turns out well.

Toby Mac echos this thought in his new song "Beyond Me"
Is it so crazy to believe 
  that you gave me the stars, 
  but put them out of my reach?
Called me to waters a little too deep?
Oh,  I've never been so aware of my need.
You keep on making me see.
  It's way beyond me.

But at the same time...
Comfortable?


You should be.
Again for some insight from Pastor Mark...
Pain keeps me looking ahead

It boils down to...where do you look for comfort?
...If it's in your stuff or your place in this world - be prepared for discomfort.
...but if it's in your God and your Savior Jesus Christ...well...

2 Corinthians 1:3-7
Praise to the God of All Comfort
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, 
  the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 
  who comforts us in all our troubles, 
  so that we can comfort those in any trouble 
    with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. 

For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, 
  so also our comfort abounds through Christ. 
If we are distressed, 
  it is for your comfort and salvation; 
  if we are comforted, 
    it is for your comfort, 
  which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. 

And our hope for you is firm, 
  because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, 
  so also you share in our comfort. 

Amen!

Link to daily bible reading calendar (chronological - one chapter per day)
TIP: click the Bible Reference and then "more details" to get hyperlinks that open Bible Gateway

What's the big deal about Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment