Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Luggage lost and lemons leveraged...


Lose your Luggage
You and I need to lose our luggage.
Luggage that we pick up as you travel through life.
Luggage that weighs us down.
Emotional luggage.
Spiritual luggage.
Lug. Lug. Lug.
I'm getting tired just writing this.

If you haven't seen it before - this is a powerful picture of you picking up...and losing your luggage.
Skit Guys: Baggage

On Sunday Pastor Daron reminded us to lose our luggage - as we studied the 5th petition of the Lord's Prayer (Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us.)
Forgiving Followers of a Forgiving God

We've got to lose our luggage.
Jesus Christ has got it.
God forgave you in Christ.

...And Leverage our Lemons
Related to this thought are the lemons that life gives us.
We're studying the book of Esther this week and my sister shared this "lemony" devotion with us this morning.
Queen Esther beneath the lemon tree

One of the things that struck me was the observation that when life gives me lemons - I want to deflect them to others.  
I lash out in anger at those closest to me because "it's just not fair" or "I don't deserve this."
I throw the lemons at them.
I "unload some luggage" onto them...and add some more to my pile.

If you haven't spent time in the book of Esther lately - it's time to get into the story.

Think about your luggage.
And lose it.

Think about your lemons.
Are they really lemons?
Or a prize in disguise?
Can you leverage that lemon?

And always remember Jesus' promise...
Matthew 11:28-30 
"Come unto me, you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

Hi God,
Today dawned with fresh luggage and lemons for me.
Luggage that I "could" add to my pile.
Lemons that I "could" react to with the sourest face ever.
OR...
Cast my cares on you.
Trust in you.
Believe in you.
Ummm - Let's go with that second bunch (cast, trust, believe).
Thanks so much!
Amen.

Link to daily bible reading calendar (chronological - one chapter per day)
TIP: click the Bible Reference and then "more details" to get hyperlinks that open Bible Gateway


What's the big deal about Jesus?




No comments:

Post a Comment