Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Fresh wind from a new direction...

Last Thursday (August 20th, 2015) I felt a fresh wind from a new direction.

Here in central Texas in the summer it seems like the wind is always hot, dry and from the south. 
Or there's no wind and you feel like you're stepping out into a sauna bath.

But that morning was different.
It was coming from the northwest.  
It was crisp.
It was cool.
It was refreshing.

I reminded me of stories from history class of sailors stuck in the doldrums.
Stuck motionless until a fresh wind from a new direction would fill their sails.

And it reminded me of how easy it is for me to slip into spiritual doldrums.
Stuck motionless and complacent.
No - I'm good, God - I've got it covered.  
Just let me alone here - I'll get this figured out...

No.
I need a fresh wind from a new direction.

Toby Mac sings in his new song Undeniable
"From the hymns that my Daddy sang, I know I was made to glorify your name
...Undeniable, You are, You are, You are!
You're the bright and morning star."
...And (I might add) my fresh wind from a new direction!

I pray...(from Psalm 51:7-15)
Soak me in your laundry and I’ll come out clean,
    scrub me and I’ll have a snow-white life.
Tune me in to foot-tapping songs,
    set these once-broken bones to dancing.
Don’t look too close for blemishes,
    give me a clean bill of health.
God, make a fresh start in me,
    shape a Genesis week from the chaos of my life.
Don’t throw me out with the trash,
    or fail to breathe holiness in me.
Bring me back from gray exile,
    put a fresh wind in my sails!
Give me a job teaching rebels your ways
    so the lost can find their way home.
Commute my death sentence, God, my salvation God,
    and I’ll sing anthems to your life-giving ways.
Unbutton my lips, dear God;

    I’ll let loose with your praise.
Amen.

Link to daily bible reading calendar(chronological - one chapter per day)
TIP: click the Bible Reference and then "more details" to get hyperlinks that open Bible Gateway

What's the big deal about Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment