Monday, February 18, 2019

He came to his senses.

Godly Sorrow

"He came to his senses" (Luke 15:17). 

There is the pivot point of drama in the story Jesus told. It's about the know-it-all son who demanded his inheritance from his father (who was still very much alive). "Dad, you're as good as dead to me." He loved his father's things more than his father.

And he broke his father's heart. 

The son left home with his payout, set out for the big city, and lived the "good life." But he ran out of money, couldn't find a job, became homeless and discovered the friends he had made with his money turned away from him. Just like he had turned away from his father.

And it broke this son's heart.

That is the moment where Jesus, as he's telling the story, says, "He came to his senses." In the darkness, he saw the light. Hopeless in his regret, he discovered hope. There was a way out of this mess. His father.

The son would return to the father he had disowned, as if he were dead. With shame and sorrow he would admit his sinful ways. He would throw himself at his father's mercy, knowing—believing—that his father would grant him grace. Because if he knew anything about his father, he knew him to be a gracious, kind and forgiving man.

Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death. (2 Corinthians 7:10)

Your Father in heaven wants you to live in this moment all the time. This hinge moment of coming to your senses. The Bible calls is "godly sorrow." 

Be honest and real. Admit sinful ways. But do not stay there and let hope die, joy die, peace die, your relationship with your Father die. Do not constantly live in guilt and shame. Repentance "leads to salvation and leaves no regret." 

Live in the hope of knowing your Father's grace. Live in the freedom of believing your Father's forgiveness. Live in the peace of receiving your Father's mercy. Live this week in that moment of godly sorrow that leaves regret behind and leads you forward because your Father is gracious, kind and forgiving.

PRAYER: Dear Father, I am sorry. I have sinned against you. I have arranged the "good life" with blessings you've given me, walking away from you and breaking your heart. If I'm honest and real, I have regrets. But I believe they don't have to own me, don't have to be who I am, don't have to chain me as a slave to my past. I believe in your grace and forgiveness, promised through the sorrowful death and resurrected return of your own Son Jesus Christ. I repent, and want to always live in repentance, turning from my sinful regrets to realize your saving mercy for me. As you welcome me home with joy that I've returned, I want that same joy to keep me faithful and true, to define my identity as your child, and to give me a greater purpose in life that pursues not your things, but you. Amen.

FURTHER MEDITATION: Open your Bible to 2 Corinthians 7:8-11. Be ready to spend at least 15 minutes listening to God's words speaking more about "godly sorrow." He is reaching out to you like the father running to his son and hugging him at his return. Visualize your Heavenly Father now, his face smiling, his arms welcoming, his voice gracious to you returning to him in repentance. He wants you to leave your regrets behind. He warmly offers merciful forgiveness with no conditions. "I forgive you." He embraces you and says, "You don't have to leave home ever again." You feel a sense of security and peace. You don't want to leave home, either. 

  1. "This hurts me more than it hurts you," many parents have assured naughty children being disciplined. Paul is saying the same thing in v. 8. Thankfully, it is temporary. "Only for a little while." A climate of gruff, hard discipline should not be a way of life in the home, but a temporary interruption. Children should not live in constant fear of doing something wrong. Reflect on your childhood. What kind of habits did you learn from your home environment? Are there any to leave behind? Any to better practice? Pray about this now.
  2. God doesn't want us to live in constant sorrow, but for that sorrow to lead to what (v. 9)? What does it look like to live with that? What changes does that mean for you? Pray about this now.
  3. Godly sorrow is productive. It helps you grow, helps you bear fruit and build character. Read v. 11. Which of those blessings of godly sorrow is something you would like to enjoy more this week? Pray about this now.
Please update your contacts to my new email address: pastordaron@crosslifepf.org



Daron Lindemann

CrossLife Church
LOVING. LIFE-CHANGING. FAMILY.

+ + +

Pastor Daron
pastordaron@crosslifepf.org
512-808-6052

Copyright © 2019 CrossLife Church, All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment