Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Belief is the teacher of your feelings




Convinced

What are some of your most negative feelings? Think of your most uncontrollable emotions that get you in trouble.
They are not in charge.
Yes, I know, in the depths of despair or height of anxiety it isn't easy just to "snap out of it." You don't just tell a person hot with anger like the Incredible Hulk to stop it and calm down (that often makes it worse). 
Feelings hold powerful influence over us. So we start believing that we are their servant. And that feelings are the master. "I can't help it, I'm just a worrier," she explains. Sometimes, feelings even become who we think we are. 
Failure. Loser. Or, on the other hand, delusions of being infallible, perfect or never wrong.
The apostle Paul was tempted to define himself with all those. A once popular and powerful authority figure, he felt on top of the world persecuting the church and murdering Christians. Jesus converted him to a missionary, proclaiming grace which he himself needed so desperately. 
Paul recalled his bloody past often, yet it didn't own him. He felt regret and shame, but these weren't his masters. 
"I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day. What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus" (2 Timothy 1:12,13).
"I know … I believe … I am convinced … with faith … in Jesus." That tells Paul's feelings of being ashamed that they aren't true. They aren't in charge. Truth is.
But only if you believe it. And when you do, Jesus becomes bigger and better than your feelings.
PRAYER: Jesus, my feelings love to drive my life. The thing is, I think I let them. I give them the keys because they tell me I don't have another choice. But I do. Faith in you. Belief that your truth is in play, actively influencing my life, and setting me free. Here, take the keys, Jesus. They are your keys, after all. I trust you to drive. I know you'll take me to new places. Strange places. Dangerous places. Places that don't feel right. Like the disciples sailing into storms, you call me beyond my feelings to rely on you, to see the power and love of your promises. Thank you for your mercy, Jesus. For your patience, kindness and forgiveness. You will never forsake me or forget about me. Amen.
FURTHER MEDITATION: Open your Bible and spend 15 minutes reflecting on 2 Timothy 1:7-13. The apostle Paul was in prison, soon to be executed. Whose prisoner is he (v. 8)? How does this belief help him through suffering (v. 8)? When did God decide that he would save Paul and call him to such courage (v. 9)? Death is one of the most frightening experiences. What belief makes all the difference (v. 10)?
 

Daron Lindemann
CrossLife Church
LOVING. LIFE-CHANGING. FAMILY.

+ + +
Pastor Daron
daron@holyword.net
512-808-6052

Copyright © 2019 CrossLife Church, All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment