Sunday, February 24, 2019

God is his Word




God's Word

When you use your Bible, you need to pull it off the shelf, grab it from your bedside table or open the app on your phone. It's something you use.
Not with God. His Word is more than a tool for him, more than a piece of equipment he employs like a carpenter uses a hammer. 
The carpenter is the hammer. That's the picture of God and his Word. God is his Word. John's God-packed gospel account opens with this hefty truth:
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (John 1:1)
What God's Word does, God is. Who God is, God's Word does. For God to be your comfort, it will be his words of promise that convince you of this. Not the splendid sunset. Not circumstances piecing together for a clear path forward. Those are nice, but not nearly representative of who God really is.
For God to show you compassion, you will find it in his law (literally "instruction," applying to all of God's words not just commands). For you to be saved from yourself, be reborn to a new life, cling to the sure hope of heaven, wake up to joy even during suffering, or stand strong against temptation your soul needs to be filled with God who gives you himself through his word.
May your unfailing love be my comfort,
     according to your promise to your servant.
Let your compassion come to me that I may live,
    for your law is my delight …
My soul faints with longing for your salvation,
    but I have put my hope in your word. (Psalm 119:76,77,81)
And then, God's Word becomes much more than a tool for you, too. 
PRAYER: Open my ears, God, to hear you when I hear your Word. Open my heart to receive you as my native language. When you speak I know, I understand, I take to heart, I believe. Feed my faith with wisdom to meditate on this divine mystery and miracle: you are your word. I want to grow with Bible knowledge that does more than know information. Hear my prayer, God, for I am your humble servant and I long for you all day long. Amen.
FURTHER MEDITATION: Slowly meditate on the verses of Psalm 119 above. Draw from them material for a prayer that you speak to God using the PRAY acronym.
  • Praise (tell God what you believe and appreciate about him and his word)
  • Repent (tell God about your sins that have neglected, despised or dismissed his word, trust in the promises of forgiveness his word declares)
  • Ask (go ahead, think big, or focus on a small detail, God wants to hear it all, what does your soul desire as spiritual next steps?)
  • Yield (talk to God about what happens after you say "Amen," how you want faith to lead the way, how you are willing to be part of his answer and see it develop for your good)
Please update your contacts to my new email address: pastordaron@crosslifepf.org


Daron Lindemann
CrossLife Church
LOVING. LIFE-CHANGING. FAMILY.

+ + +
Pastor Daron
pastordaron@crosslifepf.org
512-808-6052

Copyright © 2019 CrossLife Church, All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment