Thursday, June 30, 2016

Shine with your best

Sunshine.
Have you noticed how powerful and pervasive it is?
Amazing - because you can't touch it.
You can't capture it and save it for later.
It just shines right then and there.

When that sun comes up in the morning (especially if you have an eastern window) you just can't ignore it!

The Bible uses light (and I think of sunlight) as a metaphor for Jesus and us in our lives as followers of Jesus.

"Let your light so shine..."
"be salt and light..."
"light of the world"

In Colossians 4:2-6 - Paul gives us practical advice on how to "light it up and shine with your best".

"Pray diligently. Stay alert, with your eyes wide open in gratitude. Don’t forget to pray for us, that God will open doors for telling the mystery of Christ, even while I’m locked up in this jail. Pray that every time I open my mouth I’ll be able to make Christ plain as day to them.
Use your heads as you live and work among outsiders. Don’t miss a trick. Make the most of every opportunity. Be gracious in your speech. The goal is to bring out the best in others in a conversation, not put them down, not cut them out."
=====================
Lord,
Help me shine with my best today!
Amen.
=====================

Link to daily bible reading calendar (chronological - one chapter per day)
TIP: click the Bible Reference and then "more details" to get hyperlinks that open Bible Gateway

What's the big deal about Jesus?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this, Matt, and also for using three Bible translations; I love comparing them each time! :-)

    ReplyDelete