Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Mighty Powerful Words

(guest devotion from my brother Chris)

When I say "Powerful Words" what comes to mind?  For me, the first two words that came to mind were Ruler, as in King or dictator and hurricane as in high winds and immense damage.   Those are both things that are most certainly powerful, but do the words themselves pack any real power?

So, how about mountain and ocean.  Again, both are certainly words that conjure up powerful images, but is there any real power in the words themselves?

In today's text from 2 John 1:3, John uses some seemingly simple, meek and perhaps even weak works when he says "Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and Jesus Christ, the Father's Son, will be with us in truth and love."

According to Dictionary.com the word grace is defined as "the freely given, unmerited favor of God".   Mercy is defined as "compassionate or kindly forbearance shown towards an offender or an enemy...".  Finally, peace is defined as "a state of tranquility or serenity".

Knowing this, my heart sings this sentence:  "My powerful God, in His infinite wisdom and immeasurable, incomprehensible love, showed me mercy when He granted me His grace.  Knowing this, and that through the sacrifice of His Son Jesus that I am washed clean of my sin and that my debt is paid in full, I am at peace."


Now THOSE are some POWERFUL words!  Grace, mercy and peace to you, in this moment, on this day, in this life and in eternity.

=====================
God,
Thank you for the little, powerful words.
And for your Word that it the source of those little, powerful words.
Keep me in it and plugged into the power!
Amen.
=====================

Link to daily bible reading calendar (chronological - one chapter per day)
TIP: click the Bible Reference and then "more details" to get hyperlinks that open Bible Gateway

What's the big deal about Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment