Wednesday, February 3, 2016

The Marrying Kind?

Marriage.

My reading in Matthew 19:1-12 today talks about it and caught me (and everyone talking to Jesus) by surprise.

Read it for yourself.

It surprised his own followers – the disciples – so much that they responded with “If those are the terms of marriage, we’re stuck.  Why get married?”

Jesus response both scares me and comforts me (as my lovely wife and I are in our 28th year of wedded bliss)…

“Not everyone is mature enough to live a married life.  It requires a certain aptitude and grace.  Marriage isn’t for everyone.  Some, from birth seemingly, never give marriage a thought.  Others never get asked – or accepted.  And some decide not to get married for kingdom reasons.  But if you’re capable of growing into the largeness of marriage, do it.”

Well – he’s got that right.  I’ve done a LOT of growing in 28 years.  At the start – I certainly wasn’t mature enough – but thank God and my patient wife – here we are! 

Worth it?  Absolutely.

=========================
God,
Love can be a many confusing thing…
Thanks for clearing it up for me with your Word because on my own I would make a royal mess of it.
And I do (make a royal mess of it).
So thanks also for your forgiveness and giving me time to “grow into the largeness of marriage”.

Amen.
=========================

Link to daily bible reading calendar (chronological - one chapter per day)
TIP: click the Bible Reference and then "more details" to get hyperlinks that open Bible Gateway

What's the big deal about Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment