Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Fast Food, Fast Word?

I've got a bad habit.
I like to eat fast.
Probably picked it up in school where lunchtime was limited and I had better things to do (so I thought).
No "slow down and chew your food" for me.

Fast food restaurants fit into my philosophy of eating fast just perfectly.
Not good.  Not good.

I worked on a farm several summers as a kid.
They used to sit down and take an hour (or so) for lunch.
WHAT?  An hour?
Listen to Paul Harvey news and commentary at noon for 15 minutes.
Listen to the farm reports and weather.
Talk.  Converse.
I just didn't get it.

I still don't get it.
Most days at work you'll find me in front of my screen gobbling my lunch.
I want my food fast because I have better things to do (so I think).

And the world and our work doesn't want us to slow down.
You've got to increase your productivity.
Do more.  Do it better.  Do it faster.

And sadly - I want my time spent with my God to be fast, too.
Fast food, fast Word, right?

This morning as I saw that Psalm 79 was my chapter to ponder for the day - my Bible app showed me it had 13 verses.  Mentally I said - oh - good - only 13 verses today.
Are you kidding me?  Am I kidding me?  Did I really think that?  (yes)

BTW - those 13 verses are full of some choice words for God from people (like me) who have been feasting on fast spiritual food and crave the fast fix.
- "How long do we have to put up with this, God?"
- "Don't blame us for the sins of our parents."
- "Hurry up and help us; we're at the end of our rope."
And the piece de resistance - "God, give us a break.  Your reputation is on the line."

I may not use those exact words but my prayers think those thoughts.

Does God say - "If you're not going to say something nice, don't say anything at all"?  
NO.
God says "BRING IT!  Bring it ALL!".
When you are alone and hungry and at the end of that rope - you need solid slow food nutrition that only God can provide through his Word.  
You know.  He knows.  He provides.

Listen to his instructions to Joshua as he started his leadership of Israel.
Joshua 1:7-8
excerpt - "Keep this Book...always on your lips; meditate on it day and night..."

One of our prayers in our hymnbook (my sister reminded me of this this morning) hit the nail on the head.  I'll close with that.

Blessed Lord, who caused all holy Scriptures to be written for our learning: Grant us so to hear them, read, mark, learn, and inwardly digest them, that we may embrace and ever hold fast the blessed hope of everlasting life, which you have given us in our Savior Jesus Christ; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

God's Word.
Eat up.
Eat slow.
God bless your day!

Link to daily bible reading calendar (chronological - one chapter per day)
TIP: click the Bible Reference and then "more details" to get hyperlinks that open Bible Gateway


What's the big deal about Jesus?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you once again for great reminders for all, especially me!

    ReplyDelete