Thursday, July 7, 2016

"You go first"...or "You, go first"...

(spoken at the top of the slide at the playground)
You go first.
I'll go, too - but you go first.
(you see - I'm a little nervous about this and I'm not so sure I want to be here doing this but if you go and are OK then I'll see that it's not so bad...)

(spoken as a door is being held open)
You, go first.
Please - I insist - you go first.
(you see - I am honored that you're here and would like to make you feel special in any way possible - and the least I can do is open this door for you...)

The "You go first" phrase popped into my mind as I read Ephesians 4:1-13.
The apostle Paul is reminding us that Jesus "went first" and encouraging us to follow.

From verses 1-6
- "I don't want any one of you sitting around on your hands."
- "do this with humility and discipline...pouring yourselves out for each other in acts of love, alert at noticing differences and quick at mending fences"
- "You were all called to travel on the same road and in the same direction, so stay together, both outwardly and inwardly."

So - is he asking us to be a bunch of "Jesus robots"?

Absolutely not.
Because Jesus was not about robotic rules (just ask any Pharisee you happen to see).
Jesus was all about relationships.
And serving (you and me and everyone).

So - it's really a "You, go first" kind of relationship.
I'm honored that you're here and have something special to share with you.

From verses 7-13
- "That doesn't mean you should all look and speak and act the same.  Out of the generosity of Christ, each of us is given his own gift."
- "He handed out gifts of apostle, prophet, evangelist, and pastor-teacher to train Christ’s followers in skilled servant work, working within Christ’s body, the church, until we’re all moving rhythmically and easily with each other, efficient and graceful in response to God’s Son, fully mature adults, fully developed within and without, fully alive like Christ."

=====================
Jesus, you went first.
Help me to follow without hesitation and with conviction.
Thank you for holding the door open for me.
Remind me (constantly) that it is my job to hold that door open for others.
So that we all can enter your heavenly house.
And be "fully mature adults, fully developed within and without, fully alive like" You.
Amen.
=====================

Link to daily bible reading calendar (chronological - one chapter per day)
TIP: click the Bible Reference and then "more details" to get hyperlinks that open Bible Gateway

What's the big deal about Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment