Monday, May 6, 2019

Getting close to God is the ultimate goal of religion.




Personal

What an amazing world of high tech we live in! You can go online and get a uniquely designed logo for your small business, become an ordained minister, or take medical lab tests without ever talking to a real person. 
But when you need to talk to a real person about your phone bill, you call and get an automated message, you press the prompts and get another automated message, you press more prompts, more automated messages and can't find a real person when you need one. 
Truth is, as our automated world makes us more alienated from people, we're discovering it's difficult to find real relationships. We're losing touch with the personal. That's what I love about Christianity. Unlike other religions that require a number of prompts in order to attain that religion's ultimate status—pushing the right buttons, practicing the right behaviors, perfecting a disciplined life— Christianity is a person, Jesus Christ, the Savior of everyone in the world. It's personal.
In an intimate setting of his best friends on the night before he dies on the cross, Jesus says, "I am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life" (John 14:6). 
Getting close to God is the ultimate goal of religion. Jesus is saying, "Get to know me personally, and you'll discover that everything there is to know about religion, everything there is to believe about divine goodness in your life, comes after I AM."
The Bible will not connect the dots about how you are getting your needs met, the best way to live your life, your identity, your purpose, what's the secret to awesome relationships, or any of that until you deal with this question, "Who is Jesus?
What do you make of him? How is he changing you? Where can he take you if you trust him? Do you really want to come close to him? Jesus knows everything about you, including your sinful habits, hangups and hurts, and still, he loves you. He wants you to come closer to him, beyond information and professionalism to intimacy and personal touch. 
Take a spiritual next step this week to personally connect more closely with Jesus. Jesus is real. Jesus is alive. Jesus wants things to get much more personal.
PRAYER: Thank you, Jesus, for being the personal "I Am" Savior, and for seeking closeness and intimacy with me. Teach me trust you, to let you in, and to enjoy you more. Amen.
FURTHER MEDITATION: Jesus is speaking to you and all believers in Revelation 3:20,21. He says, " Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me. To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne." Jesus invites you to join him in two intimate activities: 1) eating with him and 2) sitting with him. 
Meditate on these. What components of eating a meal together indicate closeness and intimacy? What is Jesus sharing with you personally by inviting you to sit with him on his throne? Say a prayer that asks Jesus to enjoy these personal promises this week where you need them most. And watch for him to answer!

Daron Lindemann

Pastor Daron
pastordaron@crosslifepf.org
512-808-6052

Copyright © 2019 CrossLife Church, All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment