Thursday, September 1, 2016

Work is calling...

Retirement.
The American definition for the "end of your career and working life" conjures up things like...
...You've earned this.
...Time for a life of leisure.
...Your work is done.
...You worked hard (maybe) for x years, now it's time to relax.

Our devotions this week (and coincidentally, our pastor's daily prayer today) focus us on retirement in a different direction.  

Retirement is NOT just what's "left".
Not WHAT you've done.
Or that you ARE done.

Retirement doesn't mean those things WHEN your work is your calling.
Your calling is your work.
Do what you love.
Love what you do.

Your God is at the center of it all, defining it.
Retirement can be metamorphosis that you go through multiple times.
Your calling and work changes as God shapes the people, places and things you encounter.

And you realize... 

[From Pastor Don Patterson] Daily Prayer Wednesday August 31, 2016

12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 3:12-14

Dear Jesus, I know that my life isn't quite over because I am still here.  
And I know that at the moment my body dies, my soul will be perfected.  

Until I receive that gift, I have a purpose for my life; it's to live out faith and love in your name in an athletic way and so to press on to the day I experience your perfect love and power in heaven.  

Every now and then, I am overcome by memories of past failures and they turn me inward and downward.  

But in this passage Paul tells me that even he willfully forgot what was behind so he could truly live the present moments to their fullest.  

Help me today to forget everything sin and failure as well as every accomplishment. 
Give me the singular purpose to live today the way you have called me to. 
And thanks for paving the way with pure grace.  
AMEN

===========================
Link to daily bible reading calendar (chronological - one chapter per day)
TIP: click the Bible Reference and then "more details" to get hyperlinks that open Bible Gateway


What's the big deal about Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment