Monday, June 10, 2019

My car mechanic reminds me of Jesus.




Mechanic

Brakes wear out. Engine hoses burst. And check engine lights produce computer codes that I just cannot figure out. Because I lack mechanical skills (and tools and parts and time) to keep a car running, I am not going to drive unless I have a mechanic. 
Jesus says, "I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved" (John 10:9). My patience runs thin. My confidence bursts. I don't let my light shine. I need forgiveness and I'm not going to find it unless I believe in Jesus. I can't live without Jesus, and he doesn't want to live without me. "Come in," he pleads.
My mechanic knows and cares. When I complain about a noise in my car that sounds like a bird under the hood or a chain saw in the back seat, my mechanic doesn't laugh (usually). He always listens. He seeks to understand. And he diagnoses what my car needs. All without judging me (even when I don't check the oil as often as I should have). 
Jesus says, "I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep … and I lay down my life for the sheep" (John 10:14,15). Jesus knows my problems, better than I do. Sometimes problems that I myself cause. And it doesn't keep him from caring about me, loving me, and even dying for me. 
I don't need a second opinion. There are few people I trust enough to value their opinion without needing an alternative. My mechanic is one of them. He knows his stuff, and he's completely trustworthy. 
The Bible says that when Jesus leads his sheep "he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice" (John 10:4). I'm never worried when my mechanic says, "We found something and it's bad, but I can take care of it." Jesus is bigger than your biggest problem. Follow him. Listen to his words. Don't be afraid. 
And then, just drive. Live the journey!
PRAYER: Jesus, I trust a few special people in this life, but I want to trust you even more. And know you more deeply. And follow you more closely. Lead me there in your love. Amen.
FURTHER MEDITATION: What is a recent experience in your life that you could have done better if you had trusted Jesus more boldly? Think of a current concern or fear that you need to more fully explain to Jesus, comforted that in grace he understands more than you know. Pray about it now. Where is Jesus calling you to follow him, and you've hesitated because it feels risky?
 
Daron Lindemann

Pastor Daron
pastordaron@crosslifepf.org
512-808-6052

Copyright © 2019 CrossLife Church, All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment