Thursday, October 8, 2015

Friendly visits across the fence

I was bicycling to a haircut appointment on Tuesday night when I saw something odd.

I was going through a residential neighborhood and saw several people sitting around a card table in their driveway.  It looked like there was some food and drinks on the table.  They looked like they were just sitting around and chatting. There were a few kids running around playing in the front yard.

And then - a few blocks later - I saw another one. 

I wondered what could possibly have people sitting out on their driveways on a beautiful October evening chatting with their neighbors.  

Yesterday I noticed a sign that said Tuesday night was "National Night Out".  A special day set aside to get to know your neighbors and relax with them.

OK - now I get it.
How terrible that I find that friendly behavior odd.


In fact - in our neighborhood they are trying to organize a Neighborhood Watch.

People are concerned about the amount of crime and bad behavior and want to do something about it.

Bad behavior - now that doesn't surprise me at all.

And then as I read in the book of Zechariah this week I come across these words...

Zechariah 2:10-11
“Shout and celebrate, Daughter of Zion!
    I’m on my way. I’m moving into your neighborhood!”
        God’s Decree.

Many godless nations will be linked up with God at that time. (“They will become my family! I’ll live in their homes!”)

Zechariah 3:10
“‘At that time, everyone will get along with one another, with friendly visits across the fence, friendly visits on one another’s porches.’”

God is announcing a day when every day is National Night Out and there is no need for the Neighborhood Watch.

BUT - he also makes it clear (in the rest of the verses) that the day is coming.  It's not here yet.  This is not heaven on earth (as if we need reminding).

When will I live with eternal "friendly visits across the fence"?
God knows.
I don't.
But he says it's coming and to keep a different kind of neighborhood watch.

Matthew 24:42-44
“Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him."

God,
Thanks for giving me neighbors and neighborhoods.
Help me to be a better neighbor.
Especially in sharing You with my neighbors.
Keep me alert until You return.
Amen.


Link to daily bible reading calendar (chronological - one chapter per day)
TIP: click the Bible Reference and then "more details" to get hyperlinks that open Bible Gateway

What's the big deal about Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment