Thursday, March 14, 2019

Five areas of focus for work/life balance




Focus

Smartphones, wifi, email, Alexa, social media, and hands free driving create incredible ability and desire (Fear Of Missing Out) for constant access. Whatever "work" is for you (employment, classwork, structured family need, position in community group, even an ongoing member ministry position at church) it will not shut off easily. Here are 5 warning signs of imbalance and lack of focus …
  1. Availability replaces accessibility. You check work email during non-work hours, always available instead of simply being accessible should a crisis arise.
  2. Unhealthy eating and drinking habits as your reaction to stress. Donuts at the office because you deserve a break. Skipping meals then binge eating at night while binge watching Netflix or ESPN.
  3. Waking up during the night ruminating about work. Usually because you schedule work calls or check work email right before bed.
  4. Fatigue, feeling sluggish, low energy. Healthy fitness, nutrition and sleep habits usually prevent this, but if you don't have the time for healthy habits then the unhealthy consequences take over. So you just ingest more caffeine. Bad idea. That creates dehydration, which is a primary cause of daytime fatigue. 
  5. People say, "You look tired … Are you okay? … Where have you been? … How come you don't hang out anymore?"1
The season of Lent is a season of focus. During our Midweek Meditation last night at our church, we focused on fasting and also Lent's favorite number: forty. They're related. 
We identified 7 particular periods of 40 days/years in the Bible, and each of them helped to focus somebody more intensely on God, his Word, his presence, and his purpose. 
Along those lines, the discipline of fasting (intentionally going without food for a period of time) provides focus and clarity. "I put on sackcloth and humbled myself with fasting" (Psalm 35:13). Going without an essential need realigns and resets our essentials.
Jesus himself fasted in the wilderness when he was being tempted. For 40 days. It helped him focus on his Father's words of life, assurances of promise, and glorious plan of salvation. Jesus focused for you.
How can you fast from the extra demands and accepted pressures of work, and focus on the essentials of God's words of life, assurances of promise, and glorious plan of salvation?
PRAYER: Dear Jesus, your focus, passion and zeal to save me and please your Father is my only hope. I confess that I've neglected you, shrunk from my responsibilities, and given into the lies of shame and guilt holding me back. By myself, I can't focus on you the right way. You are my Savior. Your dedication to me, and disciplined work on my behalf are the mercy I need. Thank you. I know that you love me and forgive me. I love you, too. I need your help so that I love you more than work, more than pleasing people, and more than the thrill of productivity. Teach me the joy of pleasing you and being productive for your kingdom. Amen.
FURTHER MEDITATION: Read these episodes of 40 in the Bible. Slow down. Ask questions like, "How does going without an essential need realign and reset essentials?" Look for focus. Pray about each episode. And don't forget to thank God for his work in your life.
  • Genesis 7:17
  • Exodus 34:28
  • 1 Kings 19:8
  • Numbers 13:25
  • Deuteronomy 8:2,3
  • 1 Samuel 17:16
  • Luke 4:2


Daron Lindemann
CrossLife Church
LOVING. LIFE-CHANGING. FAMILY.

+ + +
Pastor Daron
pastordaron@crosslifepf.org
512-808-6052

Copyright © 2019 CrossLife Church, All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment