Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Stressing over...and out...

[Guest devotion from a co-worker in India]

“Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?” (Matthew 6:27)

A psychologist walked around a room while teaching stress management to an audience. As she raised a glass of water everyone expected they would be asked the “half-empty or half-full” question. Instead with a smile on her face she inquired “How heavy is this glass of water?” Many answers came from the audience - 250 gms was the least value mentioned and 500 gms was the highest value. The psychologist replied, “The absolute weight does not matter. It depends on how long I hold it. If I hold it for a minute, it is not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I’ll have ache in my arm. If I hold it for a day my arm will feel numb and paralyzed. In each case the weight of the glass does not change, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes.” She continued, “The stress and worries in life are like that glass of water. Think about them for a while and nothing happens. Think about them for a bit longer and they begin to hurt. And if you think about them all day long, you will feel paralyzed - you’ll be incapable of doing anything. So always remember to put the glass down.”

Dear friends, how well it would be if we apply this truth in our spiritual lives too! Many times we keep worrying over petty things all day long as a result of which we lose our joy and peace. We become depressed. Ultimately our work becomes ineffective. So then what are we supposed to do? We should cast all our burdens on the Lord because He cares for us. In Matthew 6:25, Jesus Himself advises us not to worry about anything. He shows examples from nature - the lilies of the field and the birds of the air. How wonderful our lives would be if we follow our Lord’s instructions! Paul also writes in Philippians 4:6, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” So let us not hold on to our worries and anxieties; but let us place them on the Lord. By worrying we do not achieve anything, but only spoil our mental and physical health.


PRAYER: Dear Lord, worry and stress not only affect me physically and mentally, but also makes me unproductive. So let me not worry about anything, but let me cast all my burdens on you trusting that you will take care of all my problems. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment